Below is a who-trusts-whom network of people who trade using Bitcoin on a platform called Bitcoin OTC. Since Bitcoin users are anonymous, there is a need to maintain a record of users' reputation to prevent transactions with fraudulent and risky users. Members of Bitcoin OTC rate other members in a scale of -10 (total distrust) to +10 (total trust) in steps of 1.
Let's see if we can produce some meaningful insights by visualizing a snapshot of the network.
- Nodes 5,881
- Edges 35,592
- Range of edge weight -10 to +10
- Percentage of positive edges 89%
One month sample is used with a broad range of ratings.more ...
This notebook explores visualizing historical price data for Bitcoin. A colorized candlestick chart helps visualize daily price trends and larger time frame price trends together: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candlestick_chart
Fetching Historical Price Data¶
- Use GDAX Exchange API: https://docs.gdax.com/#get-historic-rates
- Parse data and coerse into Pandas DataFrame
Use matplotlib and mpl finance library for candlestick support: https://github.com/matplotlib/mpl_finance
- Bitcoin prices organized by day (in UTC)
- X-axis is Date
- Y-axis is Price at Open, High, Low, and Close of the day
- Green candlesticks are "bullish" trend days (increased price)
- Red candlesticks are "bearish" trend days (decreased price)
- Body: Difference between open and close, day's trend strengh
- Shadows: Day's price range, high above open/close, low below open/close more ...